Chicago banker Albert W. Harris along with other local business leaders founded The Chicago Community Trust in 1915. This innovative idea of a community foundation had a simple yet powerful premise: to give local residents an opportunity to support their community in perpetuity. At that time, it was only the second community foundation in the nation. Today we are the fourth largest community foundation in the United States, and among the most respected of more than 700 across North America.
For 96 years, The Chicago Community Trust has offered innovative ways for Chicagoans to continue the proud tradition of philanthropy in greater Chicago. We have crafted giving programs that allow a wide range of donors to support the causes and communities they care about. In doing so, we hope to encourage others—especially young Chicagoans—to join us in giving and spread their impact.